Covid-19 Business Updates
Read current and previous communications regarding the impact of the coronavirus outbreak in the UK. We continue to monitor the situation and invite you to contact us regarding your individual circumstances.
Update 16 – Thursday 30th July 2020
Following our previous update on 9th July, please find below notable changes that have been released via gov.uk.
Sheffield City Council (Discretionary) Business Grant
The closing date is midnight 31 July 2020 so please act now if you are eligible.
Small businesses in Sheffield with relatively high fixed property costs who meet the below criteria may be eligible for a discretionary taxable (but not repayable) business grant to help meet their ongoing business costs.
Criteria (all must be met):
• was trading on 11 March 2020
• is not insolvent, in administration or have received a striking-off notice
• is a small or micro business
• has less than 50 employees
• has relatively high ongoing fixed commercial property costs
• can demonstrate a significant fall in income due to the COVID-19 crisis
• must be an occupier trading from these premises
• the business is not eligible for any other central government COVID-related grant. (You can still apply if you claimed furlough or self-employed income support scheme SEISS).
The amount of the grant depends on:
• business type
• business rent/mortgage or rateable value costs
• number of full time equivalent employees (i.e. how many lots of 35hrs are worked each week)
The following exclusions apply:
• if a business has already received a grant from the business rates scheme
• where there is evidence applicants are having a detrimental impact on the city, our residents or our neighbourhoods
• businesses operating from domestic or residential settings other than B&B’s
• businesses operating from churches or places of worship
• businesses who do not both occupy and trade from the premises
• landlords and sub letters
• businesses that are part of a national chain
• national charities
• small business not in retail/hospitality/leisure sector with a rateable value or rent over £25k per annum
• charities entitled to access the £750m frontline Covid National Lottery Community Fund
• premises not capable of accommodating trading activity, eg car parks, energy networks, advertising sites
How to apply
Complete the online application form. The closing date is midnight 31 July 2020.
Please note, this scheme has limited funds and Sheffield City Council will:
• assess complete applications on a strict first come first served basis (an application is complete when we receive the form and all required evidence)
• If applicable, request more information, and this must be provided within 5 working days to keep your position in the queue
Click below for previous updates: